The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides home weatherization assistance for low-income families, particularly for the elderly, people with disabilities and children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes. WAP is coordinated through eight community action agencies which are responsible for each of the state's 46 counties. For general information, contact the Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity at (803) 734-0662.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists qualified households with utility bills. This program is also administered by the Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity in coordination with the community action agencies. For general information, contact the Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity at (803) 734-0662.
Some utilities offer financing for home improvements to increase energy efficiency and the loan may be repaid in monthly installments added to the utility bill. Many utilities also have home heating and cooling assistance programs to help customers with limited incomes pay their energy bills during the hottest and coolest parts of the year.
Additionally, the Woodyard Fund offers assistance to residents in Richland, Lexington, Fairfield and Newberry counties with their heating bills. Those who are interested in this service can visit the Salvation Army.
- SC Weatherization Assistance Program and Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- Community Action Agencies Contact Information
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Clearinghouse
- US DOE Weatherization Assistance Program
- Duke Energy Assistance Programs
- Progress Energy Efficiency Financing
- SCE&G Assistance Programs
- Santee Cooper Good Cents Energy Efficiency Program